Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Starbucks and their effort to "save" the world

As I logged on to read the New York Times today, the usual slew of full-screen advertisements impeded my view of the headlines -- but one ad in particular caught my eye...

A Starbucks ad posted online is informing customers that for every cup of coffee purchased, $.05 will go towards saving lives in Africa.

The fact that Starbucks is now trying to guilt me into buying coffee makes me rather upset. I've always been a sucker for guilt (it's my Mom's brand of medicine), so to me, trying to appeal to consumers' ethos is just hitting below the belt.

But, if you're going to do it anyway, Starbucks, at least give a little more than $.05. I already pay $.50 more for a cup of coffee in Madrid than I did in Chicago, so can't you take at least half of that to add to the nickel you're donating?

Oh wait, I forgot: I'm talking about Corporate America. They don't really care about Africa. They just pretend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Afriwha?

Hilary said...

I saw that on Facebook today and thought the EXACT same thing -- "What, they're WAY overcharging me, and all they can spare is $0.05? Puhlease."