Thursday, January 29, 2009

Too much "jamon"

Today I made the mistake of trying to eat ham, Spain's No. 1 food source, it seems.

The Spanish love their ham, whether steamed, cured, fried, spiced, sliced, etc. I was a fan as well, at first. And then the excessive ham became, well excessive.

So it had been a while since I'd tried eating ham. It didn't ever really seem appetizing, until I saw some at the lunch buffet this afternoon. The ham was a nice rosy color, and the olive oil used to cook it gave the thin slices a slight sparkle. It looked delicious. But it tasted awful.

There was an excess of fat, and a terrible taste in general. A bit too much salt, too greasy and an awfully chewy consistency. It sort of made me want to throw up, to be honest.

So today I learned that I'm over ham, chorizo, and all the other produced meats the citizens of this country depend on so much. I'm so over meat that the idea of turning pseudo-vegetarian is starting to sound quite appetizing...

No comments: