Friday, April 17, 2009

Spanish police

In the past, I've complained about the complete lack of "customer service" Spanish culture has. By this, I'm referring to people who won't take an extra 10 seconds to tell you the price difference between two items, not telling you the location of where you can obtain a particular vaccine if its not in that office, etc. But today I stumbled upon my as-of-now favorite "screw customers" moment in Spain, which features none other than two Spanish police officers.

As I was walking back home today, I saw a crowd of teenage school children standing in a wide circle in front of the Ejercito del Aire, a building I assume is Madrid's version of an Air Force. As I neared the group to cross the street, I saw two teenage boys throwing punches at each other merely meters away from two police officers standing next to a parked van in the building's parking lot. The two boys were really going at it -- one kid even had a bloody nose! As I looked around to see if anyone was going to try and break up the fight, I made eye contact with one of the police officers and told him the boys were fighting. He shrugged at me, and turned to speak to his colleague, completely ignoring the fighting going on in his face.

I paused, standing in the middle of the street for a few seconds, my brain trying to work out what the hell was going on. How could 2 boys be fighting and having 2 policemen watching them? "Shouldn't the officers try breaking something like that up?," I thought. Well, I was wrong. Because two random men in suits came to break it up instead of the people who are paid to keep the peace.

Just another "WTF" moment in Madrid.

No comments: