Saturday, May 9, 2009

New jams

Thanks to my friend Andrea's blog, I am now able to keep track of exactly how much time needs to pass before I find myself back in the Mile High City, back in a country where eating on the street and wearing flats without stockings isn't offensive, and where cafes aren't literally covered with garbage.

In anticipation of my return, I have given up on trying to find Spanish music that I can listen to. Most of the stuff I've found is either heavily influenced by the Gypsy rhythms of Flamenco (see Ojos de Brujo), or they are yet another imitation of some modern rock/emo/pop fusion that's been done to death by bands throughout the UK and the US (see El Canto del Loco).

Rather than focusing my efforts on Spanish music, I am re-kindling my love with "rock en Ingles" and discovering cool new bands. Well, new to me. Amongst my favourites: The Horrors, a London-based band that remind me quite a lot of Joy Division. The heavy bass lines, the use of synthesizers and the lead singer's voice, especially in the song "Primary Colours," reminds me of the jams off "Unknown Pleasures."

I'm convinced that all of this has already been explained much more eloquently and analyzed to death by those better in touch with music in the States, but cut me a break. I've been in Spain for 8 months!

2 comments:

AA said...

37 days!!! can u believe it??!

aliza said...

No way! I love El Canto Del Loco and other Spanish music, i.e. Pereza and even pop stuff like David Bisbal and Bebe.

Maybe you just haven't heard the right bands yet?